Programs for Research
Collaborative Research Program
Under this program, a company researcher(s) and a Tokyo Tech faculty member(s) carry out research jointly on an equal level. This may be conducted at either Tokyo Tech or the company, or both.
The procedure is as follows.
- (1)Identifying the counterpart at Tokyo Tech
- If you do not know any faculty members that carry out research of your interest, the Tokyo Tech website may be useful. Please click here to open the search page, and input research fields and/or keywords of research topics.
You can contact us directly in the Office of Industry Liaison. Our coordinators will be very pleased to help you identify Tokyo Tech faculty members whose research may suit your need.
- (2)Developing a detailed plan of collaboration
- You can establish personal contact with the faculty member to discuss details of the collaboration: expected research outcome, period, funds, and plans. A contract model(116KB:®Word) and general rules applicable to any research collaboration project are available for your reference. Please request these from the Office of Industry Liaison.
When you come to an agreement with him/her over the above items, you can move on to the next step.
- (3)Formal application
- A formal application must be made by filling out and submitting an application form.
- (4)Reviewing and Approval
- The OIL will render its decision concerning approval of the collaboration after reviewing the project plan.
- (5)Concluding a contract
- Following approval of the project plan, a contract of research collaboration is finalized. A single-year or multi-year contract may be established. Breakdown of research expenses is not required to be made at this time.
- (6)Paying the research funds or fees
- Research funds must be paid into the bank account Tokyo Tech specifies. The amount is comprised of two sorts: direct expenses and overhead costs. Direct expenses are the costs incurred directly in carrying out the research, and the overhead costs include utility fees and maintenance. The amount of overhead costs is calculated as 30 percent of direct expenses.
When we host a visiting researcher from industry, a visitation fee of 841,160 JPY per year is charged to the industry. It is 420,580 JPY for six months or less.
Handling of research results
The patent right of any inventions resulting from the research collaboration must be, in principle, shared by the company and Tokyo Tech depending on the degrees of involvement and contribution of the each party's researcher(s).
A contract model(116KB:®Word) is available. Please feel free to consult us.
We also offer specific consultation to reflect the company's demands as much as possible.
For more information, please contact
The Office of Industry Liaison, Tokyo Institute of Technology
Ookayama 2-12-1, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550, Japan
Phone: +81-(0)3-5734-3807 Facsimile: +81-(0)3-5734-2482
Email: san.kyo[at]jim.titech.ac.jp* If you mail to us, please exchange "[at]" for "@" in the address.