Programs for Research
Sponsored Research Program
Under this program, our faculty member(s) is commissioned by a company to carry out research as a part of his job at the university. The research results will be reported to the company by the researcher.
The procedure is as follows.
- (1)Identifying the faculty member for commissioned research
- If you do not know anyone suitable to solicit collaboration, the Tokyo Tech website may be useful. Please click here to open the search page, and input research fields and/or keywords of research topics.
Alternatively, you may contact us directly in the Office of Industry Liaison. Our coordinators will be very pleased to help you find someone from our faculty whose research may suit your need.
- (2)Developing a detailed plan for the sponsored research project
- You can establish personal contact with the faculty member to discuss details of the project: expected research outcome, period, funds, and plans. A contract model(103KB:®Word) and general rules applicable to any sponsored research project are available for your reference. Please ask the Office of Industry Liaison to supply.
When you come to an agreement with him/her over the above items, you can move on to the next step.
- (3)Formal application
- A formal application must be made by filling out and submitting an application form.
- (4)Reviewing and Approval
- The OIL will render its decision concerning approval of the sponsored research project after reviewing the project plan.
- (5)Concluding a contract
- Following approval of the sponsored research project, a contract is finalized. A single-year or multi-year contract may be established.
- (6)Paying the research funds
- Research funds must be paid into the bank account Tokyo Tech specifies. The amount is comprised of two sorts: direct expenses and overhead costs. Direct expenses are the costs incurred directly in carrying out the research, and overhead costs include utility fees and maintenance. The amount of the overhead cost is calculated as 30 percent of direct expenses.
Handling of research results
- Research results will be reported to the company by the Tokyo Tech faculty member.
- Inventions resulting from the sponsored research will belong to Tokyo Tech in principle. For the patent execution, Tokyo Tech will flexibly respond to the company's demands such as exclusive business execution right.
A contract model(103KB:®Word) is available. Please feel free to consult us.
We also offer specific consultation to reflect the company's demands as much as possible.
For more information, please contact:
The Office of Industry Liaison, Tokyo Institute of Technology
Ookayama 2-12-1, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550, Japan
Phone: +81-(0)3-5734-3807 Facsimile: +81-(0)3-5734-2482
Email: san.kyo[at]jim.titech.ac.jp* If you mail to us, please exchange "[at]" for "@" in the address.